Are You Troubled By Someone’s Drinking?
Al-Anon Is for You!
Millions of people are affected by the excessive drinking of someone close.
The following questions are designed to help you decide whether or not you need Al-Anon:
- Do you worry about how much someone else drinks?
- Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else’s drinking?
- Do you feel that if the drinker cared about you, he or she would stop drinking to please you?
- Do you blame the drinker’s behavior on his or her companions?
- Are plans frequently upset or canceled or meals delayed because of the drinker?
- Do you make threats, such as, “If you don’t stop drinking, I’ll leave you”?
- Do you secretly try to smell the drinker’s breath?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
- Have you been hurt or embarrassed by a drinker’s behavior?
- Are holidays and gatherings spoiled because of drinking?
- Have you considered calling the police for help in fear of abuse?
- Do you search for hidden alcohol?
- Do you ever ride in a car with a driver who has been drinking?
- Have you refused social invitations out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you feel like a failure because you can’t control the drinking?
- Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
- Do you ever threaten to hurt yourself to scare the drinker?
- Do you feel angry, confused, or depressed most of the time?
- Do you feel there is no one who understands your problems?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions, Al-Anon or Alateen may be able to help.
Reprinted with permission of Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc., Virginia Beach, VA
© Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. 2005. All Rights Reserved.
If you would like information regarding Al-Anon or Alateen meetings in Hillsborough County, please click on the Meetings tab at the top of the page, or call (813) 881-9372 and someone will get in touch with you.
**Any information you provide will be treated as confidential.**
For information on meetings in other areas, please see the Links page.